Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Project Mayhem. (Afterword)

Let me begin by relaying all of the events that constructed Project Mayhem.

Dalecon, DBGOLD (don't be gay on Labor Day), Rockcon,(now known as Snakecon), and the Big game weekend itself.

Throughout all of these events there were things that were part of my attempt to actually create a Big Game that everyone would be able to enjoy, and to bring back some old relics from the past and resurrect them for use in the future.

The first step that I could come up with was to try and attempt to get everyone on the same page with the information about these events.  That began my dive into the cyber world that produced my very own blog page, breakout onto Facebook, and the creation of D-co's own map world.

The next was to give a common enemy that would spark interest from both old and new members.  Eth Mongul's rise was an answer that turned out to be the right one.  It allowed me to revisit an old and very broken army that had been collecting dust for over a decade.  It also brought back memories of big games of the past.  The freezer game, Redeemer, The bridge.....  all of these came up from time to time during the revup to the main event.

I had everything in hand and then the unthinkable actually happened, GW unleashed 8th edition and everything changed.  The whole freaking medium from the get go and it sent me spinning a bit, but the base plan was still intact.  We had 2 teams, communication with as many members as I could get to, a place to fight over, and a THING to fight over.  So far so good.

Dalecon had to be adjusted a bit because most people at that point had not played the new edition yet.  So I changed it into events that I would set up and see if anybody was interested in playing them.  DBGOLD went to the creative uses of the generals and the map point structure itself.  There was a cause and effect going on that weekend that was the start of the real struggle for the storyline.

Rockford was when I truely lost my mind with the planning stages.  I had more things in mind than those that actually happened.  Mostly because of the poorness of the site and some poor planning on my part, a lot of what I had in mind for that weekend had to be shelved.  There was a bigger game that had multiple people on it that finished however.

After the Snakefest debacle, I spent a very long time coming to grips with the one thing that is true.  I just don't think that my aspirations were attainable the way I was going about it, and it was heading full steam at that point.  That was when I started playing with the idea of a smaller version of the big game in points, but all of us playing on the same board, at the same time.

Now I am not going to go in to critique this event, that job is for all of you reading this, but I will tell you all that I had the time of my life doing all of this.  We did everything from cyber movie clip making to cooking a pig.  There were over 90 games played and scored for the map.  Pictures and battle reports have been made.  We even managed to get the fund going again for future endeavors.  A new game was introduced to be played at the big game, and battles were being reported on in realtime.  I believe this might be the biggest turnout as well.  This was freaking great and I hope all of you have enjoyed yourselves.

I will be available for the next 'host' of the big game as a consultant and support person.  The map can be accessed as well. Terrain, hotel support, players are all something to get through me and the channels that have been set up.  If you don't know them by now, then you aren't supposed to.

Later dudes, rock on!


No comments:

Post a Comment